Twenty-one Things I Love About You…
To my daughter, Caitlin, on your Twenty-first Birthday!
- You took us into a new millennium with a strong spirit and a head of dark hair.
2. When you’d had enough hugs you’d say your tummy was full, you knew your limits.
3. Purple Teddy went everywhere with you and you even made local headline news when he got lost.
4. Your sense of adventure took you off on trips that we didn’t even know about ‘til you got home!
5. You are a tiger, our Growlithe, unable to keep still and full of mischief!
6. You love changing clothes, from army camouflage, to ballerina tutus, to trying on my wedding dress, and I could just as easily find you at a ballet barre or up a tree.
7. Full of sparkle, stars, a strong sense of self, and the heart of a wild fae.
8. Every star is different, and you shine bright like a star in the night sky.
9. You have a quick temper and a wit that is much older than you are. There’s an early cynicism in your heart, don’t let it unbalance hope.
10. Enthusiasm lights you up when you’re learning about things that matter to you, keep that sense of justice and belief in what matters most.
11. You are growing into yourself, with beauty, grace, and empathy. Don’t let anyone dull your soul.
12. Keep that stubborn streak and your sense of fair play.
13. You love creative arts – writing, drawing, and anything that lets you express yourself.
14. Sometimes you just want to fit in, but you have a spirit that fights the system that experiments and embraces life in all its colours, and I know you will be whoever you want to be.
15. Roxy is your best friend, and you both have loyalty and love in your hearts.
16. A wry and morbid sense of humour measures you, but life is hard and that wit grounds you. You’re politically aware – you need that humour!
17. You are carving out your place in this world, using art, compassion, and integrity.
18. Kira gives you solace in an unstable world and you fight for all that’s right. Never stop doing that.
19. Never forget to be yourself. Be true.
20. You know your worth, a daughter of courage and spirit, our daughter…
21. The world is at your feet…it’s yours…
*Note: All photographs within this post are copyright to Caitlin or Lisa and are not to be reproduced or copied in any way.